Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Peach City

On Monday I went with my mom and some other family members to a funeral up in Tremonton. It was for Virginia Hansen, former babysitter of my mom and her siblings. I met her a few times and she was always a happy lady. She was 95 when she died and is survived by her husband and four daughters. On our way home we (Uncle Clark, Aunt Diane, Jacy, me, Mom) stopped in Brigham City at Peach City, small-town burger joint famous for their fresh peach shakes in the summer. We settled ourselves down in the cute little barstools and ordered burgers, fries, and shakes. What a great American meal. My mom and I shared a hot fudge shake and it was soooooo good. I didn't take a picture of my food like I usually do, but you can kind of see it in this pic. They also had great fry sauce.

Sometimes I think I want to live in a big city and sometimes I think I want to live in a small town. Every time we go up to Tremonton I decide I want to live in a small town. I want a big piece of land with horses, maybe some cows and chickens. And pigs. I definitely want pigs. And maybe I want to own a small-town burger joint so I can have as many American meals as I want.

On a different note, another thing I always think about when I go up to Tremonton is Family History. We usually end up at one of the cemetaries where my mom's mom is buried or where my mom's grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. are buried. I always wonder what it would have been like to know them. My grandma died before my mom was married, so I never knew her (except in heaven of course, but I don't remember that). My great-grandparents also died when my mom was young. I wish I could have gotten to know them and their cute Swedish accents. My grandpa died a couple of months before I left on my mission and I wish I would have gotten to know him better. He was a good, quite man who liked to spend time in his garden, or typing letters and his life history on his typewriter. I've always liked hearing family stories about what people did "back in the day". When we were at the funeral I started thinking about "life histories" and how important they are to the people that are left behind. So I got the brilliant idea to set up a blog for my mom so she can write her life story. Maybe my dad should do one too (Mom, tell him). My "Memories" blogs are kind of my life history so far. I should do another one of those.

Sorry, this really had no semblance of order. Just me rambling as usual!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love Tremonton! small town girl, what can i say?

Brea Marie said...

Tanwi, I am really into learning about family memories as well. If only my parents were more internet savy. I would have them do a memory blog too. Such a great idea.

Clayton said...

If you like family historys, check out grousecreek.com and go to the family history tab. Stories from 1900's and 1800's.