Thursday, April 10, 2008

Memories #4

It's that time again. Here are this week's memories:

1. Ice blocking - There is a park in Ventura called Arroyo Verde that has a lot of nice hills. I remember it also had a lot of different playgrounds in different parts of the park. Anyways, we used to go ice blocking a lot at this park.

2. Lemonade stands - Like normal children, we enjoyed running our lemonade stands (sometimes we sold cookies as well), especially when someone in the neighborhood was having a garage sale. I remember one garage sale (although I can't remember if it was at our house or our neighbor's) and my older sister Brittany and our neighbors Kelly and Jenny decided they were going to make chocolate chip cookies and lemonade to sell. Well that was not ok with me and my younger sister Danika and our friend Meredith (Kelly and Jenny's younger sister) because that's what we wanted to do. So the morning of the garage sale arrives, and because we had complained about it so much, my mom mixed up a batch of muffins for us to sell. Then we decided we should have a drink, so Meredith said she could get some coffee, so she ran over to her house and came back with a pot of coffee. So there we sat at our little table with muffins and coffee. We didn't sell much. Apparently chocolate chip cookies and lemonade are more popular than muffins and coffee. I admit, I would go for the sugar before the healthy stuff too.

Another lemonade stand story - Once our favorite babysitter (Emily Vizzo) was babysitting and we decided we wanted to have a lemonade stand. So we set it up in front of our house and waited for the customers to surround us. I don't think we sold much, but at one point Emily's dad drove by and asked us to fill up his big cup and he gave us a whole dollar. We usually charged 25 cents per cup.

So now I make it a point to buy a cup of lemonade whenever I see a lemonade stand, because I know how exciting it is for kids to make money. Although with inflation and everything, the prices sure have gone up. Last week a guy in my institute class said that he passed a lemonade stand and it was being sold for FOUR DOLLARS a cup! What has this world come to when you have to pay 4 bucks for a cup of lemonade?

3. S.R. - When we were younger (I think this was after we moved to Utah), two of my younger sisters and I developed a system to save our seats in the family room when we were watching tv so nobody would take them if we had to go to the bathroom, grab a snack, etc. Our system was as follows: When we stood up we would say "S.R.!", sometimes repeatedly to make sure everyone heard. For those of you who may be wondering what those letters stand for, they mean "Spot Reserved". I know. We're weird. But I'm ok with it.

3 comments:

Erin said...

we have a lot of the same types of memories! especially the saved seats. when you're in a big family there is never enough seats!

Tiff and Chris said...

I love ice blocking! I can't find any hills big enough here. And yes, I did redo it...it was just a bit much for me :)

Danika said...

I totally forgot about S.R., how lame were we! :)