Saturday, April 12, 2008

Musicians Unite!

So I mentioned before that I play the piano at McKay-Dee Hospital once a month; nothing special, just a little background music. I'm there for two hours and during that time period at least one person will walk by and tell me thank you, or that's beautiful, or something (it's really the piano that's beautiful, not my playing). So today I was there, and it was probably within the first half hour that a little old man came and sat down on a chair right by the piano. I was playing Jon Schmidt's hymn arrangements at the time. I started playing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" (he has an awesome arrangement of this song), and the old man gets up and walks a little closer to me. So I smiled at him, and then he walked all the way up to me and said, "I love that song. I used to have all 7 verses memorized. But that was a long time ago and I don't remember it all anymore." So we started chatting. His name was Richard Swenson and he used to write hymns and poetry, and sometimes he would write music for his poems. But he never sent them in to be published, he said. He also complimented me on my arpeggios (sp?), and he said it was too bad that he was the only audience, but at least it was someone who appreciated music. Before he left he had to measure the piano, because it's really big. So he walked along, measuring with his feet, and decided it was probably about 15 feet or so. Then he left. So here's a big shout out to my buddy Richard. Thanks for the compliment Mr. S.

3 comments:

Donna Jaco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna Jaco said...

That is the sweetest story. Should keep you flying high for quite awhile. ;]

Brea Marie said...

I love it when people appreciate piano music. I bet you are an amazing player. It would be great to hear you some time. Just hope it's not because we are admitted to the hospital that we get to hear you! Thanks Tawni for sharing your talent.