Friday, August 1, 2008

A long week at work

Twice a year at my company we have a Sales Summit and a Services Summit. Everyone from the Sales and Services departments come in (a lot work offsite) for a week-long conference type thing. I'm not part of either department, but the Services VP "recruited" me to help with their summit (Sales has an admin to do all their dirty work for them, Services doesn't). So this week I was the admin for Marketing and Services. It really was fun because I like to be busy, but I have to admit I'm kind of exhausted.

Every morning this week I've arrived at work around 7:30 to make coffee and put out drinks and snacks. Then I have to make sure the fridge is restocked so the drinks will be cold when I put them out. Then periodically during the day I restock drinks and snacks and also make sure that their lunch gets ordered and delivered/picked up. Then after they're done for the day, I clean up and get the snack trays ready for the next day and leave around 6. It doesn't really sound that bad, but it is a lot of work and long days. I haven't even gotten a whole lot done for my department this week because I've been so focused on the summit. And I've already worked 40 hours, so it's unfortunate that I'm on salary, otherwise I could get overtime. Darn.

Every summer during the Summits our company has their annual Summer Carnival for all employees and their families. It's a lot of fun with water games, face painting, rock climbing, etc. for the kids and whoever else wants to join in. We also have dinner (catered bbq) and an awards ceremony. I celebrated my 1-year anniversary with the company so I got my 1-year hat (everyone gets a hat on their anniversary. This year it's a dark blue fishing hat. Very cool.) I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but I will.

For part of the time I was assigned to the registration table to give people nametags as they arrived. Derek came with me, and Marci from my department was also there. If I look wet in this picture, it's because I am. Derek and my boss both thought it would be funny to squirt me with the water guns we all got (notice the gun sticking out of the back of Derek's shirt). I tried to get them back, but it didn't really work out.

1 comment:

Melody said...

So I think you should rename your blog: Me, Myself, & Derek. For those of us who are out of the loop, do you think you can do an introductory blog about this apparently very special young man? =)