Friday, August 22, 2008

The Elk and the Pig by Tawni Jaco

Once upon a time there was a big strong elk who lived in the mountains. One day a guy came along and shot it with a bow and arrow. He died and ended up packed into a freezer.

There was also a very large pig who lived on a farm. One day the same guy came along and shot it with a bow and arrow. The pig died
:( and found himself in the freezer too.

I apologize if that was too gory for some of you. I was trying to think of a way to introduce my post and that's just what came out.

So anyways, last night Derek and I had dinner with his coworker, Russ and his girlfriend Tasha. They grilled some elk steak and the biggest pork chops I have ever seen. Seriously, they were the size of a dinner plate. It was the first time I had eaten elk, and it was soooo good! Russ really did shoot it with a bow and arrow...I think. He might have used a gun with that one. I know he shot the pig with a bow and arrow. Well, three arrows. It was a private hunt that you had to prepay for, and we kept teasing him that he killed the pig on a farm. So he made sure to point out to me that the land was 10 square miles, not a farm, and the best part is you're guaranteed a pig or you get your money back. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The pig he shot was 850 lbs! They showed us their freezer before we left and it really was packed full of meat. I know we're supposed to eat meat sparingly and everything, but it was really really good and it would be so nice to have that much meat and not have to buy it for so long. Russ did give Derek a bag full of meat though, so that should last a while. :)

1 comment:

Donna Jaco said...

At least you know who has their food storage plus more of meat. He must be a pretty good shot.