Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Goin' fishing

On Saturday Derek took me fishing for my very first time (unless you count trout farms) and it was awesome! We drove up to the beautiful Uintas, making a very necessary stop at Wendy's on the way, and stopped at a lake whose name I can't remember. It was so pretty though.

We brought an inflatable raft up and tried fishing from that for a while. It was so fun and relaxing to just float along, casting your line into the water over and over.

We didn't have any luck with the fish in the raft, so after a while we decided to get out and hike down 1/2 a mile to Fehr Lake and fish from the shore. Here's me getting ready to cast:

We had probably been at this particular lake for 1/2 an hour or so when I felt a tug on my line. I had a fish! I started reeling him in, but I guess I was going too slow because Derek told me to go faster. He grabbed the video camera to catch it all on film and he captured the fish coming into shore and then jumping off the hook. But don't worry! Derek saved the day and caught it with his hands before it could get away. He also set the video camera down without turning it off, so we have a fun video of the fish, and then the ground. Right then this guy came along and asked if we wanted him to take a picture, so then he took the camera and got us both on film. But it kind of has a Blair Witch Project thing going on for a little while.

Me and my fish!

A little while later it started raining so we sat under a tree to see if we could wait it out. Well it didn't seem like it was going to stop, so we hiked back up to the truck in the rain, which was so fun! Then we ate dinner in the truck, and it stopped raining. So then we decided to go back out on the raft and see if the albino trout would start biting. We stayed out there for a while with no luck. Those darn albinos. Before we left, though, Derek made me gut the fish. Ugh. I actually ended up just starting it and he finished it because I accidentally ripped the head off. Oops.

So fishing was pretty much awesome and I can't wait to do it again!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Way to go, Tawni!! I went fishing on a blind date recently, but due to the fact that I don't have a fishing license...I couldn't fish. It looks very fun and relaxing, so maybe I should look into getting a license. Hmmm...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm really happy for you! ;) Oh, by they way, I think Julie, Janel, and I live down the street from your parents. Small world! You need to come see our house soon...as soon as we get a couch. :)

Donna Jaco said...

Way to go, Tawni-O!
You're braver than me, touching a fish.