Thursday, September 18, 2008

Masters Summit and Jason Hewlett

The rest of yesterday went amazingly well. Everything was so smooth, mostly thanks to the conference staff at Snowbird. It's a good thing they know what they're doing. Meetings ended at 4:30, then they started setting up for our dinner and entertainment that evening. From 5:30-7 we had a reception in the ballroom lobby, mostly for the benefit of our partners, so they could get to know some of our customers and forge new relationships. During this time we had amazing appetizers (the food is seriously the best part about being here) and I got to play the piano for background music. After a while though, there were so many people in there and it was so loud that the piano could only be heard by the people right next to me. So I ended at about 6:40.

Dinner started at 7 and it was really nice. NY steak, salad, applewood smoked bacon mashed potatoes, rolls and cheesecake. Dinner was served in one of the ballrooms, then at 8:30 moved to the other ballroom for our evening entertainment: Jason Hewlett. For those who haven't heard of him, he's pretty much hilarious. He's a SLC native, but travels all over the country and even the world performing his act. He does comedic impressions of singers, bands, actors, you name it. If you'd like to check out his promotional video, click here. We got to see people like Jim Carrey, Ricky Martin, Elton John and Michael Jackson.

Elton John in the 70s:

Elton John in the 90s (making friends with my boss Curt):

Michael Jackson:

So after all that I went back to my room at 10:00, called Derek and crashed. I was so exhausted. But I slept for a good 7 hours in my nice king-size bed.

So today I thought that things would have calmed down and people would have just gone to meetings and I would have just sat at the registration table all day with nothing to do. But it actually hasn't been that way at all. I've been running around just about as much as yesterday. We had a slight fiasco when I realized that I had forgotten to print the slides as handouts for one of our presenters a couple of weeks ago when he sent me his file. The printer we brought with us is extremely sloooooooow and it took me two hours to print 20 copies of his presentation. 20 minutes after his presentation started, I was ready with his handouts. But it's ok. I try to just let things roll of my shoulders. One of the projectors we brought with us decided to quit working, so we got one of our employees to bring up another one just a little while ago. And there have been other things go on, but nothing too bad. Tonight is a free night (yes!) and some of the employees are getting groups together to go to dinner, Park City, etc. but the rest of us MasterControl workers are going to dinner together, and then I plan on chilling in my room and watching a little TV, since I finally figured out how to use it (I'm not really good with TVs).

Tomorrow is the last day and I'm pretty relieved that the weekend is almost here.

1 comment:

Brea Marie said...

I grant you the letter 'K'. Good luck! Sounds like your work is going ummm, great! You are so good about not letting things stress you out. I would have been a mess. I don't deal with stressful situations very well. You're awesome!