Friday, May 23, 2008

In Memory of Gusty


So my boss called me last night at 9:30. He doesn't usually do that, so a couple things went through my mind before I answered. Either something was wrong or he really needed to tell me something before we got in to work today. Turned out it was a little of both. I sat there in shock as he informed me that our coworker, Gusty Colonna, had passed away earlier that day. She died in her sleep, of natural causes.

Gusty was my "other half" in the work sense. She was the Sales Admin and I'm the Marketing Admin. Our cubicles were right next to each other, so for the last year I have gotten to know her pretty well. She was an amazingly friendly person and made friends everywhere she went. People loved her. She was sensitive to other's feelings, a good mom, and was happy to do whatever she was asked. And she was only 35.

This is the first time I've been faced with the death of someone I know really well. I have had a couple of grandparents die, but they were both sick and it was...expected to happen I guess. This was not expected. It has put a lot of things into perspective for me. Life is such a precious, fragile thing and death can be so sudden and unexpected. We should never take for granted that which has been given to us. We should live for every moment, every day, every year that we are blessed to be alive.

How grateful I am for the knowledge I have that this life is not the end. With the sadness comes a kind of happiness that those who have left aren't gone forever. Gusty was a single mom with a lot of pain, struggles, and stress in her life. I'm happy that she is free from that now. My heart goes out to Gusty's family, especially her two girls. I pray that they will learn to deal with and understand what has happened.

It's a somber day in the office today.

5 comments:

Donna Jaco said...

I'm so sorry to hear that news. Is she the lady who moved into your apt. in SLC?
Please give my sympathy to all there.
Love,
Mom

Tawni said...

Yeah, she was in my old apartment.

Tiff and Chris said...

How sad to lose someone you know, but you're right-its nice to know that we will all be together again one day. I hope all is well with her family and I hope you are doing good.

len said...

i know alot of you theretook advantage ofmy sister and im repolled by that.she has the best heart always remember your no better the the next person.lenny her brother

justakidathart said...

Gusty has a soul like no other! She had many challenges in her short life, but she kept one foot in front of the other and NEVER gave up! Her humor not only got me through the rough times, I still giggle out loud at random thoughts of her wacky ways! I miss you lil sisto! See you SOON! MOOWA