Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Another quirk of mine

I guess this could be in addition to the quirks tag I did a little while ago. So here it is.

I HATE buying gas, and with my commute I have to fill up every few days. It has been wonderful watching the gas prices fall so quickly and being able to fill up a completely empty tank for $30. Anyways, so my quirk is that I kind of have a contest with myself to see how long I can make a tank last, or how many miles I can get out of a full tank. To do this I do the following:

1. Use cruise control all the time
2. Accelerate slowly
3. I have a manual, so I usually shift gears when the RPMs are between 2 and 3
4. I put it in neutral when I'm going downhill
5. Slow down when approaching a red/yellow light, even if I'm far away
6. This applied more in the summer, by I fill my tank in the morning on the way to work because (or so I've heard) gas expands when it heats - so the later in the day you fill up, the less gas you will actually get for the same expensive price.
7. One thing that I should be better at - making sure my tire air pressure is as high as is recommended. This helps with gas mileage.

There are a ton more things that can be done to save gas, but these are the main ones that I do all the time. If you drive with me you may comment on my granny style of driving, but I can get 480 miles from 12 tanks of gas! Ha!

No comments: