Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Guatemala 3: el hotel y el Lago Atitlan (the hotel and Lake Atitlan)

The whole time I was there I could not get over how beautiful Guatemala is. It's so green everywhere and the vegetation is very thick. Guatemala actually means "land of the forest" in a Mayan language. I can imagine that before any of the land was settled it must have been pure forest and vegetation. The most beautiful sight, however, would have to be Lake Atitlan. For those of you familiar with the Book of Mormon, this lake (along with many other sites in Guate and Mexico) has been about 99% archeologically proven to be the Waters of Mormon. It's so big that I could never fit it all into my camera. Our hotel was called Hotel Atitlan, and just happened to be right on the shore of the lake. It gave us a pretty nice view all the time, especially during breakfast and dinner where we had a huge window looking right at the lake.

The hotel is one of the nicest in Guatemala. It's actually a pretty famous site for weddings and receptions. In fact, there was a wedding held there during our stay. I think their music was still playing at 3 am. I liked it though. I could hear some reggaeton in there and I love that kind of music.

2 comments:

Danika said...

Your trip sounds like it was really fun. I'm jealous! Hopefully when my kids are teenagers, our family can do something like that!

Milly said...

Wow, that is beautiful! Did you get to see any of the other Mayan ruins?